Welcome to the post on Interesting Facts About Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. There are 35 Interesting Facts About Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. Let us know something more about Interesting Facts About Dr. B. R. Ambedkar as there are many interesting facts about him.
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was an Indian jurist, economist, teacher, editor, prolific writer, political leader, philosopher, anthropologist, historian, orator, revolutionary and a revivalist for Buddhism in India.
His full name was Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar. He is popularly known as Babasaheb Ambedkar. He is also known as the Father of Indian Constitution.
Dr. BR Ambedkar believed in quality of life. He was concerned about the life of the down trodden, the untouchables, the scheduled castes or the Dalits. One of the most famous slogans of Babasaheb is “Life should be great rather than long”.
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was a great and truest freedom fighter. He had his valuable contribution in the freedom struggle against the Britishers. But, he contributed his best to transform India into such a country where every one should get freedom and a country where freedom holds meaning for everyone.
He struggled and dedicated his life for uplifting the Dalits. He always fought against social discrimination and against untouchability. Babasaheb strongly supported the rights of women and contributed a lot in this area too.
Let us know the facts…..
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was the first man in India to pursue a doctorate.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar knew 9 languages and studied for 21 years across the world. He could achieve Masters degree in around 64 subjects. The languages that he knew were Hindi, Pali, Sanskrit, English, French, German, Marathi, Persian and Gujrati.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar is the first person in the world to make a painting of Lord Buddha with his eyes open. Before that, across the world, all the idols had eyes closed.
- It is heartening to know that his 20 page autobiography, “Waiting For A Visa”, is used as a text book at Columbia University.
- Ambedkar is the first lawyer from the backward Scheduled Caste community.
- Ambedkar is the only person in the world to do Satyagraha for drinking water in 1927, known as Mahad Satyagraha.
- He became the first Law Minister of Independent India.
- He played a key role in forming the Reserve Bank Of India.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar gets the credit of giving “Ashoka Chakra” in the Indian Tricolor fag. Although our tricolor flag was designed by Pingali Venkayya.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar had a personal library named “Rajgirh”. Library had more than 50,000 books. This library is said to be the world’s largest personal library.
- He is the first Indian to get a Doctorate (Ph. D ) degree in Economics from abroad.
- Nobel laureate Prof. Amartya Sen considered Dr. B. R. Ambedkar as his father in economics.
- He studied all the religions of the world in a comparative way.
- In the famous London School of Economics, Dr. BR Ambedkar completed 8 years of studies in just 2 years and 3 months. For this he studied 21 hours.
- Mahatma Gandhi and Governor Lord Linlithgow believed that Babasaheb is more intelligent than 500 graduates and 1000 scholars.
- The highest number of songs and books written in the name of any leader in the world is Dr. BR Ambedkar.
- Columbia University made a list of the world’s top 100 scholars in 2004 and the first name that appears in the list was Dr. BR Ambedkar
- A great Buddhist monk “Mahant Veer Chandramani”, who initiated Babasaheb to Buddhism, called him “ The Modern Buddha of this age”.
- The highest title of Buddhism “Bodhisattva” was given to Dr. BR Ambedkar in the world Buddhist council held in Kathmandu, Nepal in 1954.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar considered Lord Buddha, Saint Kabir and Mahatma Phule as his three instructors.
- Based on a global survey called ”The Makers Of The Universe” a list of top 100 humanist people of the last ten thousand years was made by Oxford University, in which the fourth name was Dr. BR Ambedkar
- Dr. BR Ambedkar is the first and the only person in the world to receive an unique and valuable doctorate degree named as “Doctor All Science” from the School of Economics. Many intelligent students have tried for it, but nobody has been successful until now.
- In London Museum his statue is placed along side the statue of Karl Marx. Till date, no other Indian person’s statue appear there.
- The first statue of Babasaheb was built in the year 1950 when he was alive and his statue is established in Kolhapur
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar is known as a Buddhist, but many may not know that he was born to a Hindu family. He belonged to Mahar caste of Maharashtra. He converted himself to Buddhism in the year along with many fellow Dalits at a ceremony in Nagpur.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar was born on April 14, 1891 at Mhow, Madhya Pradesh ( now Dr. Ambedkar Nagar )
- Name of his father was Ramji Maloji Sakpal and mother’s name was Bhimbai Murbadkar Sakpal
- Ambedkar’s original surname was Ambavadekar ( derived from the name of his native village “Ambavade” in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra)
- His teacher Mahadev Ambedkar, changed his surname from “Ambavadkar” to his own surname “Ambedkar” in school records as he was very much fond of him.
- Ambedkar had opposed Article 370 of the Indian Constitution. He refused to draft Article 370 of the Indian Constitution that gives special status to the State of Jammu and Kashmir. He refused on the grounds that it was discriminatory and against the principles of unity and integrity of the nation. This article 370 was ultimately drafted by Gopalswamy Ayyangar, former Diwan to Maharaja Hari Singh of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar had to fight for three years to get the comprehensive Hindu Code Bill passed. Some of the important features of this bill are ….
- Now, women could inherit family property, permitting divorce and adaption of girls
- This bill gave both men and women the right to divorce if the marriage was untenable.
- Right to remarry was given to widows and divorcees.
- Inter caste marriage and adaption of children of any caste was permitted.
- Polygamy was outlawed .Dr. BR Ambedkar was the first to suggest the division of Bihar and Madhya Pradesh. This he suggested in his book. In the year 2000 Jharkhand was formed out of Bihar and Chattishgarh out of Madhya Pradesh .Efforts of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar were pioneering in the development of India’s national policy for water and electricity.
32. Ambedkar initiated the Damodar Valley project, the Bhakra Nangal dam project, the Son River Valley project and Hirakud Dam project.
33. Ambedkar established the Central Water commission to facilitate the development of irrigation projects both at the Central and the State level.
34. To improve and develop the India’s power sector, he established the Central Electricity Authority to explore the potential of hydel and thermal power stations and to establish them.
35. Ambedkar emphasized on the need for a grid system ( which India still relies in) and stressed to have well trained electrical Engineers in India.
To conclude we can very well say that Dr. BR Ambedkar was multi – talented, intelligent and was very honest and dedicated person. His one of the most famous slogan is “Education, Agitation, Organization”. He very much believed in this. To educate the people he launched a newspaper called “Mookhnayak”. He used to organize peoples to agitate for their rights.
Looking into his outstanding knowledge, he was made the 1st Law Minister of independent India. He was also made the Chairman of the Constitutional drafting committee and considered as the father of Indian Constitution or the chief architect of Indian constitution.
Dr. BR Ambedkar died on 6th December 1956 in his home in Delhi.
He was awarded the prestigious Bharat Ratna award posthumously in 1990. He is a great personality not only of India but of the World. His contributions can not be forgotten.
Hope you have liked the Interesting Facts About Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. Please feel free to give feedback.
ALSO PLEASE READ
- INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.
- INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SWAMI VIVEKANANDA
- INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT POET MIRZA GHALIB
- HUMAN RIGHTS POEMS ON HUMAN RIGHTS DAY
- KINDNESS POEMS ON WORLD KINDNESS DAY
….………………………BY…Ratikanta Singh ………