Welcome to this post of World Theatre Day with a Poem and Quotations….
Theatres of today are place of amusement and entertainment. People want to get away from boredom and refresh themselves.
Theatres are business places with all modern arrangements of entertainment in the form of music, food etc.
Now let us know what is theatre from Wikipedia :
WHAT IS THEATRE?
Theatre or theater is a collaborative form of performing art that you use life performers, usually actors or actresses, to present the experience of a real or imagined even before a live audience in a specific place, often a stage.
(Now let us know something more about theatre and film industry of India.)
Theatres provide jobs and profession to some versatile actors and actresses. In India Mumbai and New Delhi have good facilities for theatre halls. Other cities in India are slowly picking up.
Motion picture or film dominates in the entertainment industry. Motion picture is fictional that is not true. It is imaginary things the people enjoy, that’s why people enjoy and is more popular.
But theatre has its unique place in entertainment industry. Actors and Actresses have to come live and showcase their talents. This is a unique opportunity for the actors to learn many things in a lively manner. Many talented actors are the product of theatres.
Now let us know about the World Theatre Day in the form of question and answer
WORLD THEATRE DAY:
Q. 01. Who and when World Theatre Day was initiated?
Ans. World theatre day was initiated by the International Theatre Institute (ITI), France in 1961.T
Q. 02. When the World Theatre Day celebrated globally?
Ans. The World Theatre Day is globally celebrated on March 27 every year.
Q. 03. Why World Theatre Day is celebrated?
Ans. World Theatre Day is celebrated to generate awareness about the importance of theatre arts. This day/event is also celebrated to showcase the important role artists play in the field of entertainment
Q. 04. What is the purpose of theatre?
Ans. The purpose of theatre is to provide joy to the people. This is concerned with acting out stories in front of the audience. The main benefits of performing arts are including improving life skills and academic.
Now let us read a poem written by me…
THEATRE AND OUR LIFE
Theatre depicts our life
We see our society
The actors and actresses
Play our role and tell our story.
Theatre adds spice
It’s very true and lively
We feel the pain and cry
We also smile and laugh
Life is a mixture of all experiences
We cannot remain aloof.
Life is always real
We understand more about life
Theatre gives new dimensions
We understand life – through theatrical life
Let us not deny….
This life is for few years
And how many days we may spend here.
This world is crowded
We can be part of the crowd
But our heart is lonely
Even though we try to be part of the crowd
Our understandings of things are different
We are part of this theatrical world
To learn and experience something more
There is a chance to learn every day.
Life can be understood better
Life can be experienced better
Let’s see the life’s reflection
Through the theatrical life
Through the real life of others
Yes – theatrical life adds new knowledge to our life
Theatrical life adds new dimension to our life.
(Now let us read each quotation one by one and understand the meaning and spirit of theatre).
Theatre Quotes :
01. Theatre is a sacred space for actors. You are responsible; you are in the driving seat. …GRETA SCACCHI
02. I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being….OSCAR WILDE
03. Acting is a sport. On stage you must be ready to move like a tennis player on his toes. Your concentration must be keen, your reflexes sharp; your body and mind are in top gear, the chase is on. Acting is energy. In the theatre people pay to see energy….CLIVE SWIFT
04. Theatre is the art form of the present : it exists only in the present, and then it’s gone. …SIMON McBURNEY
05. A creative and artistic home is what I’ve been looking for in the theatre…KENNETH BRANAGH
06. With theatre, you have to be ready for anything….WILLIEM DAFOE
07. Great theatre is about challenging how we think and encouraging us to fantasize about a world we aspire to….WILLIEM DAFOE
08. A theatre was created to tell people the truth about life and the social situation….STELLA ADELER
09. My real training as an actor was when I started doing theatre…STEVE BUSCEMI
10. Make them laugh, make them cry, and hack to laughter. What do people go to the theatre for? An emotional exercise. I am a servant of the people. I have never forgotten that. …MARY PICKFORD
11. All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players, They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts. ….WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
12. The theatre, when all is said and done, is not life in miniature, but life enormously magnified, life hideously exaggerated….H.L.MENCKEN
13. You need three things in theatre – the play, the actors and audience, and each must give something…KENNETH HAIGH
14. Coughing in the theatre is not a respiratory ailment. It is criticism….ALAN JAY LERNER
15. The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it’s accidental. It’s so much like life….ARTHUR MILLER
16. In the theatre the audience want to be surprised but by things they expect….TRISTA BERNARD
17. The theatre is a great equalizer; it is the only place where the poor can look down on the rich….WILL ROGERS
18. Actors are the only honest hypocrites….WILLIAM HAZLITT
19. If you cast wrong, you are in a lot of trouble. …PAUL MAZURSKY
20. Drama – what literature does at night …GEORGE JEAN NATHAN
21. The most precious things in speech are pauses…RALPH RICHARDSON
22. The theatre, like the fresco, is art fitted to its place. And therefore it is about all else the human art, the living art. …ROMAN ROLLAND
23. A talent for drama is not a talent for writing but is ability to articulate human relationships. …CORE VIDAL
24. I want to make the audience laugh and cry within ten seconds, to show just how close those emotions are. …NEIL SIMON
25. Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths pure theatre. …GAIL GODWIN
26. Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good….TERENCE MANN
27. The novel is more of a whisper, whereas the stage is a shout. …ROBERT HOLMAN
28. The word theatre comes from the Greeks. It means seeing place. It is the place people come to see the truth about life and the social situation. The theatre is a spiritual and social x-ray of its time. The theatre was created to tell people the truth about life and the social situation….STELLA ADLER
29. A theatre, a literature, an artistic expression that does not speak for its own time has no relevance. …DARIO FO
30. I think there is no world without theatre…EDWARD BOND
People have enjoyed various forms of performing arts for centuries. They have enjoyed drama, comedy, music and many other forms of entertainments.
While looking into the history of theatre, it can very well be traced back to 6th Century BC where ancient Greeks were the first to present dramatic presentations.
One of the most popular forms of entertainment for the people is a visit to the theatre. Even now, this form of entertainment exists and people relaxed through theatres and they entertain themselves.
Present day theatre gives an opportunity to express ourselves through our creativity and to showcase the reality of this world. It also helps to bring about change among people as we see a lot of conflicts and divisions in our society. Overall, the world has to be united with full cooperation and brotherhood.
We all have to live with peace and prosperity in this world. Let us all see that the World Theatre Day plays an important role to bring about qualitative change in our thinking process. Through entertainment, let us remind ourselves of our duties and responsibilities as a world citizen to our people and to our world.
It is hoped that this article World Theatre Day with a Poem and Quotations is appreciated and utilized on the the lessons derived.