Welcome to a Short Motivational Story On Self – Assessment taken from internet to understand the importance of Self – Assessment. For more clarity on this vital topic Self – Assessment, I have added few Quotations on self – assessment, self – evaluation, self – examination etc. And I have added two Short Poems written by me.
Before we read the Story and Quotations, better we learn something about the following….
- Dictionary Meaning Of Self – Assessment
- Self – Assessment ( From Wikipedia )
- Definition Of Self – Assessment
Now, let us know ….
DICTIONARY MEANING OF SELF – ASSESSMENT :-
When used as NOUN
- assessment or evaluation of oneself or one’s actions, attitudes, or performance.
“each aspiring solicitor is obliged to go through a process of self – assessment”
calculation of one’s own taxable liability.
“under self – assessment, some nine million people might have tax returns to file before January 31”
SELF – ASSESSMENT ( FROM WIKIPEDIA ):-
In social psychology, self – assessment is the process of looking at oneself in order to assess aspects that are important to one’s identity. It is one of the motives that drive self – evaluation , along with self – verification and self – enhancement.
DEFINITION OF SELF – ASSESSMENT:-
A self – assessment is a review of performed of an individual to identify elements that can be improved or exploited to achieve certain predefined goals. It can also be said that the person analyses himself to improve his perspective about his capabilities and potential.
Before we read the Short Motivational Story on Self – Assessment …. let us go through few Quotations and Two Short Poems related to self – assessment written by me with the following titles….
- Asses Yourself
- Face The Real World
Now let us read the Quotations….
- The unexamined life is not worth living. …. SOCRATES
- Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise. …. SIGMUND FREUD
- Some of us have become so addicted to pointing fingers at others for all the wrong that happens in our lives that self – assessment has become synonymous with blaming the victim. …. L. Z. GRANDSON
- Self – reflection entails asking yourself questions about your values, assessing your strengths and failures, thinking about your perceptions and interactions with others, and imagining where you want to take your life in the future. ….ROBERT L. ROSEN
- The hunger ( to success ) is the same, no matter what it is that you’re doing. It’s like an unquenchable thirst to learn more, or to feel like you could have done more, and to be brutally honest and self critical, which is very hard to do. It’s easy, and human nature is to just blame somebody else. It’s very , very hard to self assess. ….KOBE BRYANT
- No man was ever so much deceived by another as by himself. …. FULKE GREVILLE. 1ST BARON BROOKE
- Assessment is today’s means of modifying tomorrow’s instruction. …. CAROL ANN TOMLINSON
- External things are not the problem. It’s your assessment of them. Which you can erase right now. …. MARCUS AURELIUS
- Honestly admitting what you lost and not trying to rationalize it or push it off is an important step in self – assessment and mindfulness. …. FREDERICK LENZ
- Without proper self – evaluation, failure is inevitable. …. JOHN WOODEN
- The natural response to evaluation is to feel judged. We have to mature to a place where we respond to it with gratitude, and love feedback. …. HENRY CLOUD
- To be the next generation leader you can be, you must enlist the help of others. Self – evaluation is helpful, but evaluation from someone else is essential. You need a leadership coach. Coaching enables a leader to go further faster. …. ANDY STANLEY
- Ask yourself if what you are doing today is getting you closer to what you want to be tomorrow. …. RADMA VARIX
- Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. …. ARISTOTLE
- He who knows himself knows others. …. CHARLES ALEB CULTON
- To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist, that is all. …. OSCAR WILDE
- Attack the evil that is within yourself, rather than attacking the evil that is in others. …. CONFUCIUS
- Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. …. AGUST WILSON
- The most fundamental aggression to ourselves, the most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves, is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently. …. PEMA CHODRON
- The only way to make a spoilt machine work again is to break it down, work on it’s inner system and fix it again. Screw out the bolts of your life, examine and work on yourself, fix your life again and get going. …. ISRAELMORE ADELJA
- You need to assess yourself on a yearly basis and see how far you have gone and what you still need to work on. …. SUNDAY ADELJA
- You can’t improve what you won’t face and own. …. MICHAEL HYATT
- It’s difficult to appreciate the value of others when your self assessment is over valued. …. AULIQ ICE
- Great leaders get people to admit the truth because they know that dreams are buried under the lies they tell themselves, in order to feel okay with giving up. …. SHANNON L, ALDER
- We can’t improve what we don’t assess. …. MICHAEL HYATT
Now, let us read the poems….
POEM – 1
Assess yourself – Self – assessment is a must,
To find out where you are today?
Assess yourself – Self – assessment is a must,
To find out where you can reach tomorrow.
Honestly, critically, please assess yourself
Find out your strengths and weaknesses.
Please weaken your weaknesses,
Please strengthen your strengths.
Be wise enough to stand tall.
Prove yourself better than all.
POEM – 2
FACE THE REAL WORLD
Assess yourself today and everyday,
Improve yourself everyday.
Gather courage and be honest to assess,
Otherwise your life may be in a mess.
It is a tough task to know one self,
Don’t cheat or tell lies to yourself.
Be tough to face the real world,
Be skillful and improve yourself to face the real world.
Now, it’s the time for the Short Story….
SHORT STORY: SELF – ASSESSMENT
( This is a story about a little boy, who is doing a job in the house of a lady. He is doing a self – assessment and trying to know about himself …. this story is short but gives clear picture of an honest assessment. Please read the entire story, this can be an eye opener….)
A little boy went to a Telephone booth in the morning hour. This telephone booth was located at the Cash Counter of a store. The boy dialed a number and started conversation with a lady. The store owner listened and observed the conversation…..
BOY – Madam, can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?
LADY – ( at the other end of the phone ) – She replied, “I have already engaged someone to cut my lawn”.
BOY – Madam, “I will cut your lawn for half the price than the person whom you have engaged to cut”.
LADY – replied, “I am fully satisfied with the person who is presently engaged in cutting my lawn”.
BOY – ( with more perseverance ) – “I will even sweep your floor and the stairs of your house for free”.
LADY – No. Thank You.
After getting this reply, the boy had a smile in his face and the boy replaced/ kept the receiver.
The store owner who was listening and observing the boy and his conversation walked near to the boy and asked….
THE STORE OWNER – “Dear son…I like your attitude. I like your positive thinking and spirit and I would like to offer you a job”.
BOY – Politely said, “No Thank You”.
STORE OWNER – He was surprised to hear this and said, “But you were pleading for the job!”
BOY – “No – Sir – No, I was just checking my performance at this job which I already have. I am the one who is working for the lady to whom I was talking”.
SO: the boy was checking or assessing his own performance. This can be called as Self – Appraisal, Self – Examination, Self – Evaluation.
To conclude let me add some related vital things. Self assessment makes one sure and confident about one’s capabilities. It also eliminates or reduces work related fear and uncertainty. There by enables the person or employee to assess himself, make connections quickly and improve on his or her abilities. Self – assessment enhances the person’s capacity building.
A self – assessment or self – evaluation process should consider the following questions….
- In which area have you excelled?
- On what achievements are you most proud of?
- In which area do you feel you need more support?
- What goals do you wish you could have accomplished?
- What would help you to accomplish this/these?
- What are the things you like most about your job?
- What are the things you dislike most about your job?
- What improvements could be made to make your role easier?
- What are some of the components of your job that you would eliminate and why?
- What career goals do you hope to accomplish in the next three years?
I hope you will agree that these are vital questions on self – assessment or self – evaluation. It is necessary to try this to bring about improvement in work place as well as in ou lives.
Hope you have liked this post. Feel free to give your valuable feed back.
ALSO PLEASE READ….
- THE POSTMASTER: A STORY BY RABINDRANATH TAGORE
- KABULIWALA SHORT STORY BY RABINDRANATH TAGORE
- POETRY QUOTES ON WORLD POETRY DAY
- WOMEN’S DAY POEMS AND QUOTATIONS