Welcome to 78 Tennis Quotes to understand Tennis and Life. Anyone can learn and understand any type of game very well by playing the game. But one can understand the game by observing too.
These Tennis Quotes will certainly help to understand the Tennis and Life. Let’s take the help from Wikipedia to know more about Tennis…
“Tennis is a racquet sport that can be played individually against a single opponent or between two teams of two players each. Each player uses a tennis racquet that is strung with cord to strike a hollow rubber ball covered with felt over or around a net and into the opponent’s court.”
These quotes are mostly by the famous tennis players or tennis administrators who are totally involved with this game.
Tennis quotes to understand Tennis and Life is the title of this post, because, almost all quotes tell us about the struggle, preparation, mental power, self-control, ecstasy and everything that the players experience in their lives.
We the general public, experience many things similar in our individual life to establish ourselves in our career ,as well as to earn a good name in the society. Many a time, we play and compete with ourselves to win over ourselves, so that we can establish in any chosen field in our life. Therefore, it is felt that we can very well understand our life through tennis too.
Let us enjoy 78 quotes and be benefitted.
01. Tennis is mostly mental. You win or lose the match before you even go out there. …VENUS WILLIAMS
02. I just try to play tennis and don’t find excuses. You know, I just lost because I lost, not because my arms was sore. …GORAN IVANISEVIC
03. If I can keep on playing tennis when somebody shooting a gun down the street, that’s concentration. …SERENA WILLIAMS
04. I want my tennis to speak for everything. …MARIA SHARAPOVA
05. Tennis has given me soul…MARTINA NAVRATILOVA
06. Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquility. …BILLIE JEAN KING
07. Tennis uses the languages of life. Advantage, service, fault, break – love… the basic elements of tennis are those of everyday existence, because every match is a life in miniature….ANDRE AGASSI
08. The fifth set is not about tennis, it’s about nerves…BORIS BECKER
09. What is the single most important quality in tennis champion? I would have to say desire, staying in there and winning matches when you are not playing that well. …JOHN Mc. ENROE
10. Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down. ….ROBERT FROST
11. Life is like a game of tennis, the player who serves well seldom loses. ….UNKNOWN
12. Love is nothing in tennis, but in life it’s everything. ….UNKNOWN
13. Everything in tennis is so neat and nice but boxing has sport down to its essence; it is very pure and I like that. ….ANDY MURRAY
14. In tennis it is not the opponent you fear, it is the failure itself, knowing how near you were but just out of reach. …ANDY MURRAY
15. There is a fear of emotion in tennis. …ANDY MURRAY
16. Boxing, mixed martial arts and tennis are the hardest sports to train for….ANDY MURRAY
17. I think, for me, I just really want to have fun with every match that I play because tennis is a game. …NAOMI OSAKA
18. The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I will never be as good as a wall. …MITCH HEDBERG
19. Everyone needs a coach. It doesn’t matter whether you are a basketball player, a tennis player, a gymnast or a bridge player. …BILL GATES
20. Later I discovered there was a lot of work to being good in tennis. …ARTHUR ASHE
21. The poet Melvin B.Talson once said, “A civilization is judged only in decline”. That made sense to me. I would imagine the same is true for poets and tennis players. …NIKKI GIOVANNI
22. What I love about tennis is gracefulness. It’s an aggressive and powerful game, but it takes touch and finesse…VIRGIL ABLOH
23. And of one thing I have no doubt; the more you train, the better your feeling. Tennis is more than most sports, a sport of the mind, it is the player who has those good sensations on the most days, who manages to isolate himself best from his fears and from the downs in morale a match inevitably brings, who ends up being world number one. …RAFAEL NADAL, Rafa
24. Greatest thing in life : winning a tennis match. Second greatest thing in life : losing a tennis match. …JIMMY CONNORS
25. Tennis was always sort of a – a learning. It was a vehicle for me to discover a lot about myself. …ANDRE AGASSI
26. I submit that tennis is the most beautiful sport there is and also the most demanding. It requires body control, hand-eye coordination, quickness, flat-out speed, endurance, and that weird mix of caution and abandon we call courage. It also requires smarts. Just one single shot in one exchange in one point of a high-level match is a nightmare of mechanical variables. …DAVID FOSTER WALLACE
27. What a polite game tennis is. The chief word in it seems to be “sorry” and administration of each other’s play across the net as frequently as the ball. …JAMES M. BARRIE
28. Equipment’s the biggest change. And the guys have been getting bigger, stronger, more athletic – so the game has become more of a track meet instead of a tennis match, in a sense. …JOHN Mc.ENROE
29. Tennis is an addiction that once it has truly hooked a man will not let him go. …RUSSEL LYNES
30. It is never too late to get into tennis! While I started playing at the age of 8 when my parents gave me tennis racquet for Christmas, tennis is a lifelong sport that can be enjoyed by people of almost any age. It’s also something you never forget once you learn. ….SAMANTHA STOSUR
31. Tennis has to become everything to you if you’re going to make it to the top. You have to like it. …MONICA SALES
32. Tennis is so competitive; I guess that’s the way it has to be. …MONICA SALES
33. Tennis is what I do and is part of who I am. ….JENNIFER CAPRIATI
34. Tennis taught me to take chances, to take life as it comes. To hit every ball that comes to me no matter how hard it looks, to give it my best shot. …THISURI WANNIARACHCHI
35. I will let the racquet do the talking. …JOHN Mc. ENROE
36. I let my racquet do the talking. That’s what I am all about really. I just go out and win tennis matches. …PETE SAMPRAS
37. If you can react the same way to winning and losing, that’s a big accomplishment. That quality important because it stays with you the rest of your life, and there’s going to be life after tennis that’s a lot longer than your tennis life. …CHRIS EVERT
38. Tennis takes care of everything. It requires agility and quickness to get to the ball, core strength to get power into your shots and stamina to last for an entire match. In addition to toning your arms and shoulders, it’s a total body workout for your legs and abs, and work your heart and care unlikely any other sport. …SAMANTHA STOSUR
39. I just try to stay positive and focused on the tennis not let anything get to me, like crazy questions. But I’m tough; let me tell you, tough as nails. ….VENUS WILLIAMS
40. Serena and I have done some great career planning and we’re playing really at the peak of our tennis right now. I think tennis has been a sport where people play this insane schedule from 14 years old, so of course at 26, it is over. We’ve really paced ourselves….VENUS WILLIAMS
41. Tennis is my job, but it’s not my life. ….SERENA WILLIAMS
42. All my life I’d woken up to tennis, tennis, tennis. Even if I don’t go to practice, I’m thinking about it all the day. …SERENA WILLIAMS
43. Tennis players were always playing in centre court that feels like arenas. And when we get on the court and the crowd cheers your name or salutes you – it’s like you’re gladiator in the arena. And everyone is cheering – and you’re fighting, you’re screaming during your strokes – it feels like you’re an animal, fighting for your life. ….NOVAK DJOKVIC
44. Tennis is a mental game. Everyone is fast; everyone hits great forehands and backhands. … NOVAK DJOKVIC
45. When you do something best in life, you don’t really want to give that up – and for me it’s tennis. ….ROGER FEDERER
46. Tennis is just a game, family is forever. ….SERENA WILLIAMS
47. It’s true I always try to be as seductive as possible but I wouldn’t be here if couldn’t play tennis. …ANNA KOURNIKOVA
48. I grew up a little girl in the Soviet Union playing at a small Sports Club. Tennis gave me my life. …ANNA KOURNKOVA
49. You know my dad pushed me to believe that I was going to be the best. I just never thought of life without tennis, even looking forward. …ANDRE AGASSI
50. I’d like to think I could have and should have won more, but that’s not the point. And I was at the point where I was playing great tennis in the mid 80s – the type of tennis people hadn’t seen before – and I was very proud of that. …JOHN McENROE
51. All I cared about tennis was winning. …PETE SAMPRAS
52. The mark of great sportsman is not how good they are at their best, but how good they are at the worst. …MARTINA NAVRATILOVA
53. I’m a perfectionist. I’m pretty much insatiable. I feel there is so many things I can improve on. …SERENA WILLIAMS
54. I never looked back, I look forward. …STEFFI GRAF
55. I made it look so easy on court all those years. No one realized how much I had to put into it. They underestimated my intensity. …PETE SAMPRAS
56. My motto is, I’m alive that means I can do anything. …VENUS WILLIAMS
57. A champion is afraid of losing. Everyone else is afraid of winning. …BILLIE JEAN KING
58. I’m not the best player in the history of tennis. I think I’m amongst the best. That’s enough for me. ….RAFAEL NADAL
59. I have always considered tennis as a combat in an arena between to gladiators who have their racquets and their courage as their weapons. …YANNICK NOAH
60. Tennis is an addiction that once it has truly hooked a man will not let him go. ….RUSSELL LYNES
61. Tennis has had a very positive impact on my life. …GABRIELA SABATINI
62. When I retired from tennis I wanted to do other things in life. …BJORN BORG
63. Is only a tennis match. At the end, that’s life. There is much more important things. ….RAFAEL NADAL
64. Tennis is my life, obviously; I need to focus, I need to win. But it is not the only thing. I’m not going to play for ever. …NOVAK DJOKOVIC
65. I have always valued the care for my body, and my mind and holistic approach to life. I always thought this is utmost importance for my tennis. …NOVAK DJOKOVIC
66. Never give up. Take what life throws at you and throw it right back. If life keeps throwing then you have a tennis match going. Learn to like tennis. ….GLENN FORD
67. You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy. …ARTHUR ASHE
68. I have tried to keep on with my striving because this is the only hope I have of ever achieving anything worthwhile and lasting….ARTHUR ASHE
69. Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it. ….ARTHUR ASHE
70. I play each point like my life depends on it. ….RAFAEL NADAL
71. The more matches I play, the more confident I get. …MARIA SHARAPOVA
72. If you don’t practice you don’t deserve to win. …ANDRE AGASSI
73. W hen I play my match, everything else is completely not in my mind any more. ….NAOMI OSAKA
74. As tennis players, you are never satisfied. We are greedy as players, always want better results. …SANIA MIRZA
75. Tennis is the loneliest sport…ANDRE AGASSI
76. Life is like tennis. Those who serve best usually win. …DAVID FOSTER WALLACE
77. The roughest thing I ever said to an umpire was, ‘Are you sure?’. …ROD LAVER
78. So there was a fire inside me. And that fire inside you, it can be turned into a negative form or a positive form. And I gradually realized that I had this fire and that it had to be used in a positive way. …JOHN NEWCOMBE
INTERESTINGS FACTS ABOUT TENNIS :
- Before we conclude let us read some interesting and fun facts about tennis…
- Tennis balls were initially white in colour. However, yellow tennis balls were used in the Wimbledon for the first time in 1986.
- Henry “Bunny” Austin was the first player to wear shorts at Wimbledon in 1932.
- Wimbledon is the only major tennis tournaments still played on grass.
- The fastest server in the women’s tennis was done by Venus Williams. She recorded a serve of 205 km/hour.
- Margaret Smith Count holds the record with 24 Grand Slam Singles Titles.
- The game of tennis comes from Great Britain.
- Venus and Serena Williams became the first set of sisters to ever win Olympic Gold Medals in Tennis.
- The first African American to win the US Open was Arthur Ashe.
- The fastest tennis serve ever was achieved by Sam Groth at the Busan Open, South Korea in 2012. It was recorded at an incredible 263 km/hour.
- Novak Djokovic tops the male tennis players in terms of highest amount of prizes achieved, with over $143 million in winnings!
Playing tennis is relaxing with many health benefits. It helps in increasing aerobic capabilities. Also helps in lowering resting hearts rate and blood pressure. Also helps in lowering body fat, increasing bone density and improving metabolic function.
Playing tennis, helps improving muscle tone, strength and flexibility. Also there is the benefit of increasing reaction times.
Besides the benefit on physical front, there are also other benefits of tennis too like….
It’s a non-impact sport. One will have no injury.
The game gives a great opportunity to meet people and spend great time with friends.
It is very much helpful to reduce stress.
This game of tennis is becoming very popular day-by-day in many countries. The Grand Slam Championships are of great attraction to the people all over the world. If someone can afford it and facilities are available better to enroll and enjoy tennis….