Welcome to Football Quotes For All… There are 100 football quotes for all by players, coaches as well as administrators. These good numbers of quotes will help us to understand and appreciate this most popular sport in the world.
Football quotes will also help us to appreciate the mentality and skill of the football players and coaches. Football requires strong body, good stamina, skill and killer instinct to do well as a competitor.
The actual name of the sport is association football. This association football is more commonly known as football or soccer. This is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players.
It is played by more than 265 millions players in over 200 countries.
An estimated 4 billion people are actively watching the football sport from time to time. Without any doubt, this sport of football has become the most popular sport in the world.
Football was invented in China around 476 BC and it was known as Cuju.
The American and Canadians call football as soccer.
Sheffield F.C. is the first and the oldest professional football club in the world. It was founded in 1857.
A football game is always 90 minutes long. It is divided into two halves of 45 minutes each plus stopping time. The stopping time is usually between 1-5 minutes depending on injuries and breaks in each half of the game.
The majority of football 80% or so are manufactured in Pakistan. Sialkot in Pakistan is famous for making the balls for FIFA World Cup since 1982.
There are only 8 countries who have won the FIFA World Cup which is held every fourth year since 1930. Brazil has won the World Cup 5 times.
01. Football is like life. It requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority. …VINCE LOMBARDI
02. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball three or four minutes on average. The important thing is what you do during those 87 minutes without the ball. Football is a brain game, where to run, when to run, when to cover, when to pass, when to move, how to move, it is decisions these that come from the brain that determines whether you’re a good player or not. …JOHAN CRUYFF
03. If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake. …PAOLO MALDINI
04. Football has to be fun for kids or it doesn’t make sense. …JOHAN CRUYFF
05. My advice to any young footballer is don’t leave nothing on the table, go enjoy your football and get as much out of it as you can. It comes and goes in the blink of an eye. …JOE COLE
06. Before you can coach others first you must learn to coach yourself. …JOHAN CRUYFF
07. Anyone can play a game of football, you see a game on a Sunday, pub games, and they all love a game of football. The real players had a practice ethic about them. …ALEX FERGUSAN
08. In most scenarios it isn’t the man on the ball who decides where the ball goes, but players without the ball. Their running actions determine the next pass. …JOHAN CRUYFF
09. There are times not to coach. The urge is to step in and show them. Sometimes it’s better to let them make a mistake. Sometimes they learn more from the mistake then being told what to do. …DENNIS BERGKAMP
10. Teams don’t learn. Individuals within the team learn. Development is a personal process even when conducted in a team environment. …JOHAN CRUYFF
11. There are so many players in football with great talent, but their actual understanding of the game is poor, and that’s the difference between good and great. It’s getting the decision right which is key in football. …JAMIE CARRAGHER
12. I let all youth teams play the same way, like the first team. I always put the emphasis on learning. Sometimes I had the suspicion that youth coaches were more concerned with winning. They cared about their own reputations. Me, I cared only about the interest of the Club. When a player with talent could not defend, I put him in defense so he could learn, but that could cost a point? I didn’t care, I was busy developing the player. …JOHAN CRUYFF
13. If God has wanted us to play football in the clouds, he’d have put grass up there. …BRAIN CLOUGH
14. When there is effort, attitude and desire…. Nothing is impossible. …LIONEL MESSI
15. Most of the players I came across where quicker and stronger than me. Decision making is what controls our physical actions. Some players have a mental top speed of 80 while others are capable of reaching 200, I always tried to reach 200. …XAVI HERNADEZ
16. As coach we can motivate them to do it, but attitude will determine how well they do it. Find the player with attitude and motivation no longer comes from the coach, this is key in building success. ….MARCELO BIELSA
17. Development is a conscious choice, not from the coach, it must come from the player. It is what the player decides to focus on that will have the greatest results. …FRANK RIJKAARD
18. Some footballers base their decisions on their current situation. Intelligent footballers have already evaluated that decision before the ball arrives. The more situations – they find themselves in, the quicker the solution will come to them, but only if they are being educated or guided in the correct way. …JORGE SAMPAOLI
19. An intelligent pass is just as important as a flashy dribble. …MARCO VERRATTI
20. Football is played with head. Your feet are just the tools. …ANDREA PIRLO
21. I know what it’s like to win things. You need a certain type of player with a determination to win. You see it in the eyes. …RUUD GULLIT.
22. You play at the rhythm you train at. If you train badly, you play badly. If you work like a beast in training, you play the same way. …PEP GUARDIOLA
23. You use a knife and fork to eat. It was like that 100 years ago, and 100 years from now it’ll still be the same. Some things just don’t change. The same applies to football. First the basics have to be in place, and it’s only then that you can make improvements. …JOHAN CRUYFF
24. The problem you see, it is easy. Most eyes can see what the player can do, but few eyes can see the effect the player has. …ANDREA PIRLO
25. There are no general theories that apply to everything. And anyone can be valid, what doesn’t work is imposing something doesn’t work. …PEP GUARDIOLA
26. It’s not about having a philosophy. It’s about adapting to the quality of the opposition. …JURGEN KLOPP
27. We do not pass to move the ball; we pass to move the opposition. …PEP GUARDIOLA
28. In possession, eleven men have to be in motion. Busy fine – turning distances. It’s not a question of how much you run but where you run to. …JOHAN CRUYFF
29. It rained 3-4 hours a week at Ajax when I was little but played 3-4 hours every day on the street. So where do you think I learnt football. …JOHAN CRUYFF
30. If you don’t live it, breathe football then you are not a true football player. You just wear a jersey. …SERGIO RAMOS
31. The best decisions aren’t made with your mind but with your instinct. The more familiar with a situation you become, the quicker, the better your decision will be. …LIONEL MESSI
32. For sportsmen or sportswomen who want to be champions, the mind can be just as important, if not more important than any other part of the body. …GARY NEVILLE
33. Kids must enjoy it. You choose to do the things you enjoy any chance you get. A coach cannot give you skills. Practice and the street will give you skill. I always had a ball at my feet, I was always playing on the streets. …RONALDO
34. Continuous evaluation involves challenge. If something doesn’t challenge then the individual will not evolve. …EDGARDO BAUZA
35. I never succeeded in bringing to the field what was in my brain. I had the talent for the fifth division, and the mind for the Bundesliga. …JURGEN KLOPP
36. You have got to enjoy it. Unless you really love something I think it’s very hard to become really good at it. …ROY KEANE
37. Too often I hear it, ‘clear your lines’, ‘you can’t play football there’, and you see young players kick it up the pitch thinking they are doing their job… ‘Winning games is for the coaches’ ego; it should be about developing technically gifted players’. …JOHN COLLINS
38. It is the same for any football player. How many games can players look back and remember clearly. Most of the games and seasons players remember are the ones that meant something to them. It has to mean something to really enjoy it. …LOTHAR MATTHAUS
39. “The faster the ball goes,
the faster it comes back.”
This was one of Lillo’s (Juanma Lillo) best sayings. I used this a lot when I worked with the players at Bayern…. I said to them ‘ok’ you like long balls no problem”. But you should understand one thing… the faster the ball goes the faster it comes back. It’s just one of those bloody things you have to accept in football. In eight out of ten situations when you kick the ball long, the opposition central defender is going to get it and win it back. You are running after it and it’s already on its way back. The players said ‘who cares, get it up the pitch right away, hit the ball long.” It was fxxking pain in the neck to get it over to them and I had to explain it over and over again, as no doubt I’ll have to be in England as well. …PEP GUARDIOLA
40. If you put the wrong petrol in the car it’s not going to go very far. For a human being it’s exactly the same, you have to prepare the right way. …ARSENE WENGER
41. People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society. …VINCE LOMBARDY
42. To me football is so much about mental toughness, it’s digging deep, it’s doing whatever you need to do to help a team win and that comes in a lot of shapes and forms…TOM BRADY
43. Football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins. …JOHAN CRUYFF
44. Anything is possible in football. …VIRGIL VAN DIJK
45. I always thought I wanted to play professionally, and I always knew that to do that I’d have to make a lot of sacrifices by leaving Arjentina, leaving my family to start a new life. I change my friends, my people. Everything. But everything I did, I did for football, to achieve my dream. …LIONEL MESSI
46. In football, there are good and bad times, but if you are a great side, you can be confident of winning Trophies again. …KAKA
47. It sounds like a clinche, but without a strong group you win nothing in football. …KAKA
48. Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive life, selflessness and respect for authority is the price that each and everyone of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile….VINCE LOMBARDI
49. Some people try to find things in this game that don’t exist but football is only two things – blocking and tackling…VINCE LOMBARDI
50. The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably the integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in army or in an office…DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
51. Football is unconditional love. …TOM BARDY
52. Football in itself is a grand game for developing a lad physically and also morally, for he learns to play with good temper and unselfishness, to play in his place and ‘play the game’, and these are the best of training for any game of life….ROBERT BADEN – POWELL
53. The level of football in England is the top. English football is the leader in the world. …PELE
54. Brazil eats, sleeps and drinks football. It lives football. …PELE
55. Football is about having the best offensive play possible. I always like to play offensive football and nobody will convince me otherwise. …JOHAN CRUYFF
56. It is like everything in Football and life. You need to look, you need to think, you need to move, you need to find space, you need to help others, it’s very simple in the end. …JOHAN CRUYFF
57. Football is now all about money. There are problems with values within the game. This is said because football is the most beautiful game. We can play it in the street. We can play it everywhere. …JOHAN CRUYFF
58. Football is a game you play with your mind…JOHAN CRUYFF
59. Football is not about suffering. It’s about enjoyment. Control the ball, be friendly with it, try to attack, and try to score goals. Of course defending is part of it, but you can defend in a lot of ways. …JOHAN CRUYFF
60. I learnt all about life with a ball at my feet. …RONALDINHO
61. You have to fight for your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it. …LIONEL MESSI.
62. The vision of champion is someone bent over, drenched in sweat, to a point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching…ANSON DORRANCE
63. In his life, a man can change wives, political parties or religions but he cannot change his soccer team. …ADUARDO GALEANO (Journalist)
64. I am a rock star because I could not be a soccer star. …ROD STEWART (Musician)
65. There is no pressure when you are making a dream come true. …NEYMAR.
66. Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football. …ALBERT CAMUS (Author)
67. I don’t believe skill was or ever will be, the result of coaches, it is a result of a love affair between the child and the ball…ROY KEANE
68. I just hate losing and that gives you an extra determination to work harder. ….WAYNE ROONEY.
69. Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple. …JOHAN CRUYFF
70. Football is war minus the shooting…GEORGE ORWELL
71. Football is the ballet of the masses …DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH
72. A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you don’t tell her she forgets she is beautiful. …ARSENE WENGER
73. I once cried because I had no shoes to play football with my friends. But one day I saw a man who had no feet, and I realized how rich I am. …JINEDINE ZIDANE
74. Football is oneness in action. When played well, it is unity on display. Players come from different races and different backgrounds. However, when they get on the field, they harmonize their differences toward a common goal. …TONY EVANS
75. The philosophy of FIFA is to expand world’s soccer space, to spread out the world football space. …VLADIMIR PUTIN
76. Football is a game you cannot play without making mistakes. …JURGEN KLOPP
77. If I have to pick my greatest strength as a football coach, I say it would be innovation. …TOM LANDRY
78. We should play free football, defend lively with a passion, and have the best understanding in offence …JURGEN KLOPP
79. The emotion to handle the pressure is one of the biggest challenges in football – it’s the top challenge…JURGEN KLOPP
80. I‘ve thought sometimes about what I like about football, and it’s playing together…JURGEN KLOPP
81. Football is like war. It’s about taking territory. …CONDOLEEZZA RICE
82. For years, we have had many coaches in football, but there are no teachers any more. And you see that in the play itself. …JOHAN CRUYFF
83. Football is like life and I know life. …RUSH LIMBAUGH
84. In life, as in football, you won’t go far unless you know where the goalposts are….ARNOLD H.GLASOW
85. Football is unconditional love….TOM BERDY
86. Football changed my life and it gave me a sense of value….DAWYNE JOHNSON
87. It’s so easy for a kid to join a gang, to do drugs… we should make it that easy to be involved in football and academics….SNOOP DOG
88. The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your problems, block your fear and score your points when you get the opportunity….LEWIS GIZZARD
89. Football rewards the guys that are in great condition….JIMMY JOHNSON
90. I always had a philosophy which I got from my father. He used to say, ‘Listen. God gave to you the gift to play football. This is your gift from God. If you take care of your health, if you are in good shape all the time, with your gift from God no one will stop you, but you must be prepared.’ …PELE
91. I am constantly being asked about individuals. The only way is to as a team. Football is not about one or two or three star players. …PELE
92. At 17, I already had responsibility because I took care of my family, but in the football I was young. I wasn’t experienced or the captain – I was just in the team. …PELE.
93. I still love football, though, and I think cooking is like football. It’s not a job, it’s a passion. When you become good at it, it’s a dream job and financially you need never to worry. Ever. …GORDON RAMSAY
94. Even though professional soccer has become more about business and less about the game itself, I still believe football is a party for the legs that play it and for the eyes that watch it….EDUARDO GALEANO
95. If anything was bad I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games for you….BEAR BRYANT
96. Football is a simple game based on giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple. …BILL SHANKLY
97. I think it is a very important thing in football to keep each other awake and alert. …VIRGIL vanDIJK
98. Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. …PAUL BROWN
99. What’s so amazing in today’s society is people look upto football players. And as a football player, you have a platform. And it’s so much more important than any touchdown or trophy or anything you could win with football. It’s taking that platform and be able to influence people…TIM TEBOW
100. The game of football is one of strategy and tactics. …WOODY HAYES
Also please read :
Football is a very popular game enjoyed by all sections of the society irrespective of age and position. It is also a great source of entertainment for 90 minutes. It keeps the spectators engaged throughout the game.
The game has many health benefits. It also helps in increasing concentration and inculcates discipline. The game also provides great career option.
The game of football is evolving and very very talented players have emerged at International level. They are entertaining us through their skills and stamina. Many of them have become role model for the aspiring football players throughout the world.
I am confident that football quotes might have been of great help to understand and appreciate in a better way.