“FEAR OF FAILURE”
We become disappointed if we fail in our efforts, which is a natural phenomenon in human life. Though it is said that failure is the first step to success but when it comes to face the failure we often become frustrated. From our earliest days as children, we are taught that failure is “bad” and we quickly learn that it brings shame, pain, humiliation, and embarrassment. The major fear that stands as the greatest obstacle to success is fear of failure. The problem is not actually failure itself, which can make us stronger and more determined, but the fear itself that paralyzes us from the action. We attach fear to things we do not need to have any intense feelings about.
Fear of failure is what restricts people to their comfort zone. It is what makes them avoid risk and play it safe as the years pass them by. Henry Ford said, “failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” Thus, fear of failure must never be the reason not to try something. Abraham Lincoln’s example in this connection can be the best to quote. In spite of several defeat in senator’s election, he never stopped to fight the election but tried again and again and became president of America.
Failure is something that every person will experience eventually in their life. Some people have a fear of failure and this fear often interfaces with their everyday lives. There is no failure there is only feedback. Successful people look at mistakes as outcomes or results and not as a failure, but unsuccessful people look at mistakes as a permanent and personal failure.
There are things that a person can do to overcome the fear of failure.
- Decision Making:- Bold, decisive action to be taken. Do something scary. Fear of failure immobilizes you. To overcome this fear you must act and take a firm decision.
- See the thing in another way:- Successful people just don’t give up. They keep trying different approaches to achieving their outcomes until they finally get the result they want.
- Keep smiling:- Failure is a judgment or evaluation of behavior.
Look at failure as an event or a happening not as a personal loss. Just smile and relax.
- Take it as an opportunity to learn:- Think of failure as a learning
experience. What did you learn from the experiment that will
help you in the future ?
- Create Self-confidence:- To diminish fear we can develop our self-confidence, our belief in our self and our abilities. Self-confidence is not the absence of fear, but mastery of fear. It is a foundation of quality of success in every walk of life.
- View fear from the position of power and excitement instead of pain and paralysis.
- Make a habit of doing the things that you fear so that you will Overcome.
Although we all make mistakes, fear of failure doesn’t have to cripple you. As a self- help author Susan Jeffers says “feel the fear and do it anyway” I can quote the following lines, to sum up, the subject.
Failure does not mean I’m a failure;
It does mean I have not yet succeeded.
Failure does not mean I have accomplished nothing;
It does mean I have learned something.
Failure does not mean I have been a fool;
It does mean I had enough faith to experiment.
Failure does not mean I have disgraced;
It does mean I have dared to try.
Failure does not mean I don’t have it;
It does mean I have something to do in a different way.
Failure does not mean I am inferior;
It does mean I am not perfect.
Failure does not mean I have wasted my life;
It does mean that I have an excuse to start over.
Failure does not mean that I should give up;
It does mean that I should try harder.
Failure does not mean that I will never make it;
It does mean that I need more practice.
Failure does not mean that you have abandoned me;
It does mean that you must have a better idea.
Trainer and counselor