Today, let us discuss on attitude and try to understand something through my poem, few quotations and one story. To start with let us find out the simple definition of Attitude.
Definition of ATTITUDE
- the way you think and feel about someone or something.
- the feeling or way of thinking that affects a person’s behavior
- a way of thinking and behaving that people regard as unfriendly , rude etc.
(Source: Marriam Webster’s Learner’s Dictionary)
Now let us enjoy the poem written by me……..
POEM ON ATTITUDE
Attitude is no stranger to us.
We can judge the attitude of others
Without even judging ours
This is strange but true
And this is part of our attitude.
Our formative years are crucial
To give shape and size to our attitude
Our tendencies, our temperament grow
Through environment, experience and education
And it takes the shape of our attitude
To become part and parcel of our life.
Yeah! With this attitude of ours
We have the journey of our life
Start the mission of our life……….
Attitude is what is inside us
Our total being –Outer and inner self
This is our total personality
Knowingly or unknowingly it plays
A great role in personal and professional life
Helps us to lead a life of our own
With what comes out from within
The mission and journey of our life.
Believe it or not……..
We can choose our attitude every morning
Attitude is the foundation of our success
Attitude is the shock absorber of setbacks
For a positive thinker………
Attitude becomes the stepping stone to success
For a negative thinker……..
Attitude becomes the stumbling block to success.
People with positive attitudes
Are caring, confident, patient and humble
They see positive- expect positive results
Make things happen in pleasing and energizing way
Just their presence inspire others
They are an asset to the society
And go on ………
Producing assets in different ways
In the work place….Positive people
Are for team work and better productivity
Improve quality and increase loyalty
Praise such people- honestly praise
More such positive people
Are needed everywhere
To make our life beautiful
And satisfying story for ever…
People with negative attitudes
Are obstacles to their own growth
Failure in marriage, and relationships
Are very very common
Negative attitude brings bitterness
Resentment, ill health and stress
Life becomes purposeless life
A liability for self and society
Such people are burden
But pass on negativity
To the future generation.
So : Let’s change…….
Change from negative to positive
Let’s not resist change.
Yes- Change is uncomfortable
Yes- Change is stressful
But this is our life
We only can change our life
We only can change our attitude
We only can make it sweet, purposeful and bright.
I feel that the above poem is certainly a food for serious thoughts. To make you more comfortable and to understand this vital topic let us read few relevant quotations………
QUOTATIONS ON ATTITUDE
- Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. THOMAS JEFFERSON
- My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, and then I will turn that perceived weakness into strength. MICHAEL JORDAN
- Develop an attitude of gratitude , and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation. BRIAN TRACY
- Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. ALBERT EINSTEIN
- Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you are going to live your life. JOEL OSTEEN
- Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude. ZIG ZIGLAR
- Watch your manners of speech if you wish to develop a peaceful state of mind. Start each day by affirming peaceful, contented and happy attitudes and your days will tend to be pleasant and successful. NORMAN VINCENT PEALE
- People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude. JOHN C. MAXWELL
- Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. WINSTON CHURCHILL
- Excellence is not a skill, it’s an attitude. RALPH MARSTON
- Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how you will do it. LOU HOLTZ
- For success, attitude is equally as important as ability. WALTER SCOTT
- A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes. It is catalyst and it sparks extra ordinary results. WADE BOGGS
- It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome. WILLIAM JAMES
- I think whether you are having setbacks or not, the role of a leader is to always display a winning attitude. COLIN POWELL
- Attitude determines the altitude of life. EDWIN LOUIS COLE
- Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives. WILLIAM JAMES
To end the article let me bring before you one short story related to attitude. This is taken from internet and the author is unknown. The title of the story is…………
An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer/contractor of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
The contractor was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end his career.
When the carpenter finished his work and the builder came to inspect the house, the contractor handed the front-door key to the carpenter. “This is your house,” he said, “my gift to you.”
What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.
So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we have built. If we had realized, we would have done it differently.
Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity. The plaque on the wall says, “Life is a do-it-yourself project.”
Who could say it more clearly? Your life today is the result of your attitudes and choices in the past. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitudes and the choices you make today. Author Unknown
Please bear in mind ………..
This was not a test of attitude
It is about taste of life.
Attitude can give glory and bring many things
Attitude can give shame and lose many things
Attitude is real- It’s not fake
Take utmost care
To bring out the real
And your positive picture
Which should be very very clear.